The twist in the dish is the addition of Sweet Potato into the sweet jaggery stuffing.
Ingredients Required :
Sweet Potato - 3 medium sized
Wheat Flour - 1 cup
Oil - Half Cup
Jaggery - 1 cup
Coconut - Half cup
Elachi Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly to evade off the mud.
- Steam them the same way you steam the idlis. Until the sweet potatoes get soft and tender.
- Once they get warmed up, peel off the skin and mash them well.
- Grate the Jaggery and coconut.
- In a nonstick pan, add the jaggery and pour in enough water to help the jaggery to get immersed.
- When the jaggery starts melting and proceeds to thicken, add the grated coconut and elachi powder.
- Add the smashed sweet potato and keep mixing. This is called Poornam.
- Check the consistency to be non sticky on the pan. Off the stove.
- Meantime, prepare a medium soft and sticky dough using the flour and water.
- Allow the dough to rest for atleast an hour.
- Make balls out of the dough. Pinch in a big hole, and try placing the poornam mixture. Bring the sides of the dough to the top and pinch it to close tight. Tap them on a knead surface, and start rolling them or keep patting them using your palm, until they get slim enough to get toasted.
- Heat a non stick tawa, place the spread, add in enough ghee to toast them.
Enjoy while they are hot !!!