Friday, July 1, 2016

Kanchipuram Idli / Kovil Idli


These idlis are very interesting, be it the ingredients, be it the taste, and the beautiful light cream color. Om my God.. they are divine. Hence people are aptly naming them as Kovil Idli..

 

Ingredients :

Moong Dal                        - 125 gm
White color full Urad Dal - 125 gm
Bengal Gram                     - 2 tbsp
Peppercorns                       - 2tbsp
Cumin Seeds                      - 1 tbsp
Almonds / Cashews           - 1 tbsp
Curr Leaves                       - Handful
Green Chillies                    - 1 or 2
Coreander Leaves              - Handful
Coconut                              - 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste..

Method :

 
When I was getting lazy to grind the usual idli batter, I found it very tough to manage every mornings with some breakfast. Yes, Idli batter is a blessing for those busy mornings. Yet I was very lazy myself, rather loss of mood to grind them because I did not want them for 1 full week. Found them to be monotonous.
I ended up preparing variety of breakfast. majority of them were very simple and towards the end of the week I got exhausted. Thats's when, I found this beautiful recipe in a snippet which my mom has gifted me.
I washed all the dals thoroughly and let them soak for 4 hours. ( Guess 2 hours is more than enough ).I had the convenience of a full day as I soaked them in the morning. Hence I ground them at my leisure time.
The batter should be of regular Idli batter consistency.
I kept them if fridge.
 
 
The next day morning, I took the batter out, and added enough salt.
Run a coarse grind of powder of the Cumin, and Almonds and Peppercorns.
Grated the coconut.
Next, I chopped the green chillies, curry leaves and coreander leaves into fine pieces. 
I took a lovely tiny pan, added desi ghee and felt the stunning aroma of the ghee. Once I was done enjoying the pleasure of it's aroma, I let the green chillie, curry leaves, almond + pepper + cumin powder in it and again felt blessed to feel the beautiful aroma...( All this I was doing at 6 am on a busy thursday :-) )..
 
Next, I let the sauted mixture into the batter, gave a quick stir.
Greased the idli moulds, and poured this batter and allowed to steam as long we allow for regular idlis. or until they were steamed just enough.
 
 
I do not prefer or believe in over cooking any food. They should be just enough cooked.
These idlis would be more delightful when they get the ' puli kulambu ' , ' kothamalli thoku ' combos...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment